McKenzie Low Back Pain Treatment
This past weekend I had the pleasure of partaking in the McKenzie Method of Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT) course all about the lumbar spine (also known as the low back).
Did you know that approximately 80% of the adult population will experience back pain at some point in their life! Low back pain has become more prevalent as the years go on and we have answers on how to treat it! McKenzie
utilisation de levitra
treatment is very specialized and its performed by putting your body in different positions to try and reduce or centralize the problem. The risk factors for developing low back pain can be divided into three classes:
- Individual and lifestyle
- History of low back pain
- Physical or biomechanical
- Heavy or frequent lifting
- Whole body vibration (as when driving)
- Prolonged or frequent bending or twisting
- Postural stresses (high spinal load or awkward postures)
In order to determine if MDT would be suitable for you, I will start by explaining the different types of pain that one can experience. Pain in the low back can be categorized as either chemical or mechanical in nature. Chemical Pain:
- Constant pain
- Recent onset (traumatic or possibly insidious)
- Cardinal signs may be present – swelling, redness, heat, tenderness
- Lasting aggravation of pain by all movements
- No movement found which abolishes pain
- More commonly intermittent, but may be constant
- Certain repeated movements cause a lasting reduction or abolition of pain
- Movements in one direction may worsen symptoms, whereas movements in the other direction will improve them
Indications for the McKenzie method of treatment are those who have nerve problems stemming from the spine and those with mechanical low back pain, that is, the pain varies with physical activity and over time.
Mechanical low back pain is most commonly seen in individuals between 20-55 years of age and the pain is generally located in the lower back, buttocks and/or thighs.
If you know of anyone with low back pain or if you yourself are suffering from low back pain please contact us so we can determine if McKenzie treatment is right for them.
Written By: Courtney Conway, PT